July 17-21, 2019
"This place will change your life"
Thursday Course Offerings
THURSDAY HALF DAY SESSIONS
10 – 1 PM ON THE BEACH
LET’S ALL GO FOR A PADDLE!
– This is the part where we ALL get to know our gear, each other and our
2 – 5 PM ON THE BEACH
30 SECOND KAYAK RESCUE
– It is NOT about going fast. But, if you get the core components dialed with a focus
on smooth and clean…you will be completing your assisted rescues in under a
RESCUES AND TOWING
– Rescues are the last line of defense between happy paddling and sad
hypothermia. This session will teach you the various forms of self and assisted
rescues including the basics of towing. You will get wet as you see these fantastic
safety techniques from both side of the water.
– Boat control is the foundation for every kayak skill you will ever learn. Developing
the relationship between you, your paddle, and your boat will enable you to
instinctively put your boat where it needs to be. This session will also explore the
most effective strokes for the challenge at hand.
OPEN WATER BOAT CONTROL
– Translate your skills and comfort on flat water into enjoying the wind and waves.
This session will focus on strategies for dealing with conditions to include:
Application of Draw strokes, Bracing and Rudders in adverse conditions – Edging
vs. Leaning and when to do either.
– So sometimes things don’t play out the way we expected. How we respond in
these situations is the difference between a great campfire story and I do not ever
want to paddle again. We will approach this from a global perspective with some
specific scenarios and challenges thrown into the mix.
UP AGAINST THE WALL
– Absolute rescues and boat handling. Does it work when it really counts?
Techniques and strategies for safely playing in more dynamic, consequential and
ROLLING FOR REALS
– There is no better self rescue than a roll. Period. Three seconds and a dry boat,
that is good thing. BUT, there is nothing worse than a roll that fails when it needs
to work. This session is designed to trouble shoot the kinks and vulnerabilities in
your flat water roll and put you on the path to bombproof combat rolls. And yes,
we all swim sometimes…some more than others.
– Yep, if there is surf we will all be out there playing and learning. The beauty of the
harbor is that we will be able to tailor the challenge level to all expectations. So
whether the waves are what you seek or you just want to be able to land in small
surf without capsizing your loaded tripping boat, we can make the magic happen.
smiles powered by water